Is there hope for writers in South Africa who write in the previously under-published languages?
It is true that there are too few books available to read in South African languages – other than English and Afrikaans that is. But why is this the case? And is there anything that can be done about it?
In September 2017 we unveiled a new writers’ initiative, WritePublishRead, aimed at assisting authors to get their fiction published digitally. This initiative supports the Department of Basic Education’s Read to Lead Campaign by offering people a wider variety of locally produced texts.
Now, just six months later, WritePublishRead, a Via Afrika and partners initiative reaches another milestone: announcing the first group of authors from previously under-published languages who will be working in the annual WritePublishRead Assisted Self-Publishing Programme on World Book Day 23 April 2018.
Each of the selected authors will be assisted by having a thorough language edit performed on their manuscript. Furthermore, they will receive assistance to prepare their manuscript for digital self-publication, and will be hosted on the Via Afrika WritePublishRead website. For more information on the WritePublishRead Assisted Self-Publishing Programme, click here.
Now, without further ado, we are happy to announce the selected authors for the WritePublishRead Assisted Self-Publishing Programme 2018:
– Asakhe Henry Cuntsulana (isiXhosa, Collection of poetry)
– Hlumeka Dumezweni (isiXhosa, Collection of poetry)
– Philasande Wiseman Mfaba (isiXhosa, Collection of poetry)
– Anelisa Thengimfene (isiXhosa, Collection of poetry)
– Yonela Thengimfene (isiXhosa, Collection of poetry)
– Banele Nolayi (isiXhosa, Drama)
– Makhosandile Patrick Tisana (isiXhosa, Novella)
– Theophilus Matshoba (isiXhosa, Short reads)
– Zandile Mamela Qinga (isiXhosa, Short story)
– George Nonzwakazi (isiXhosa, Short story collection)
– Celimpilo Piety Dladla (isiZulu, Drama)
– Ntokozo Mandlendoda Allen Ross Nzuza (isiZulu, Drama)
– Purity Nolwazi Cele (isiZulu, Short story)
– Nomonde Nelisiwe Jele (isiZulu, Short story)
– Zinhle Thalent Zikhali (isiZulu, Short story)
– Sicelo Ziphozonke Ntshangase (isiZulu, Short story collection)
– David Marosa (Sepedi, Collection of poetry)
– Evelyn Dimakatso Mashiane (Sepedi, Short story)
– Thabiso Tsietsi Lakajoe (Sesotho, Collection of poetry)
– Thabang Tsolo (Sesotho, Collection of poetry)
– Tseliso Kennedy Mofubetsoane (Sesotho, Novelette)
– Khutsafalo Cecilia Mariri (Setswana, COllection of poetry)
– Kenneth Kalafi Modise (Setswana, Short story)
– Vusi Bonginkosi Ntimane (Siswati, Collection of poetry)
– Nkelebeni Thomas Neguyuni (Tshivenḓa, Collection of poetry)
– Matimba Joshua Maluleke (Xitsonga, Short story)
– Reginah Fanisile Thomo (Xitsonga, Short story)
Congratulations to each of you!